Highlights

  • Nagorno-Karabakh refugees flee to Armenia
  • Azerbaijan now controls disputed area
  • Azerbaijan launched an attack on September 19

Latest news

US Supreme Court strikes down swath of Trump global tariffs

US Supreme Court strikes down swath of Trump global tariffs

Pakistan to tour Bangladesh next month for 3-match ODI series

Pakistan to tour Bangladesh next month for 3-match ODI series

PM Modi to flag off Meerut Metro, Namo Bharat train on Feb 22

PM Modi to flag off Meerut Metro, Namo Bharat train on Feb 22

Australia captain Marsh says team respects criticism back home for T20 World Cup debacle

Australia captain Marsh says team respects criticism back home for T20 World Cup debacle

Shakira to perform in Delhi, Mumbai for Feeding India Concert 2026

Shakira to perform in Delhi, Mumbai for Feeding India Concert 2026

Govt announces seven measures to help boost exports

Govt announces seven measures to help boost exports

BJP condemns Youth Congress protest at AI Impact Summit, calls it ‘shameful’

BJP condemns Youth Congress protest at AI Impact Summit, calls it ‘shameful’

SC flags 'trust deficit', orders deployment of judicial officers in Bengal's SIR exercise

SC flags 'trust deficit', orders deployment of judicial officers in Bengal's SIR exercise

Thousands flee to Armenia after Azerbaijan retakes Nagorno-Karabakh

Refugees continue to head to Armenia from Nagorno-Karabakh after Azerbaijan took control of the disputed area. 

Thousands flee to Armenia after Azerbaijan retakes Nagorno-Karabakh

Thousands of refugees from Nagorno-Karabakh streamed into Armenia Monday as a deadly blast rocked a fuel depot in the rebel enclave and Azerbaijan and ally Turkey hailed Baku's victory over the majority ethnic Armenian area.

While Azerbaijan showcased its regional alliances, Russia hit back at embattled Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan after he blamed Moscow for the swift defeat of the breakaway territory.

Several days after the fighting, the first refugees arrived in Armenia on Sunday and 6,650 people have so far entered, Yerevan said on Monday.

AFP reporters saw the refugees crowding into a humanitarian hub set up in a local theatre in the city of Goris to register for transport and housing.

"We lived through terrible days," said Anabel Ghulasyan, 41, from the village of Rev, known as Shalva in Azeri.

She arrived in Goris with her family by minibus, carrying her belongings in bags.

An explosion at a fuel depot wounded more than 200 people, according to Armenian separatist authorities which have been supplying those seeking to leave the territory with petrol and diesel.

"As a result of the explosion in the fuel warehouse, the number of injured exceeds 200. The health condition of the majority is severe or extremely severe," the region's rights ombudsman Gegham Stepanyan said on social media.

"The medical capacities of (Nagorno-Karabakh) are not enough," he added, calling for air ambulances to be allowed to land.

An official had earlier indicated there were fatalities without giving a toll.

Armenia and Azerbaijan have fought two wars in the last three decades over Nagorno-Karabakh, a majority-ethnic Armenian enclave within the internationally recognised border of Azerbaijan.

Azerbaijan launched a lightning operation on September 19 to seize control of the territory, forcing the separatists to lay down their arms under the terms of a ceasefire agreed the following day.

It followed a nine-month blockade of the region by Baku that caused shortages of key supplies.

The separatists have said 200 people were killed in last week's fighting.

Baku announced two of its soldiers also died when a mine hit their vehicle on Sunday.

Azerbaijan's state media said officials held a second round of peace talks with Nagorno-Karabakh's ethnic Armenian community aimed at "reintegrating" them.

But on the road heading to Armenia, more and more residents from the region appeared to be trying to get out as the witnesses said cars were snarling up in traffic.

At the refugee centre in Goris, Valentina Asryan, a 54-year-old from the village of Vank who fled with her grandchildren, said her brother-in-law was killed and several other people were injured by Azerbaijani fire.

"Who would have thought that the 'Turks' would come to this historic Armenian village? It's incredible," she said, referring to the Azerbaijani forces.

She was being housed temporarily in a hotel in Goris and had "nowhere to go".

ADVERTISEMENT

Up Next

Thousands flee to Armenia after Azerbaijan retakes Nagorno-Karabakh

Thousands flee to Armenia after Azerbaijan retakes Nagorno-Karabakh

YouTube restores services after global outage affects users

YouTube restores services after global outage affects users

Mark Zuckerberg to testify in landmark social media addiction trial

Mark Zuckerberg to testify in landmark social media addiction trial

Tarique Rahman sworn in as new Prime Minister of Bangladesh

Tarique Rahman sworn in as new Prime Minister of Bangladesh

BNP lawmakers sworn in after landslide victory in Bangladesh elections

BNP lawmakers sworn in after landslide victory in Bangladesh elections

Yunus says Bangladesh no longer ‘submissive’, mentions India’s northeast in farewell speech

Yunus says Bangladesh no longer ‘submissive’, mentions India’s northeast in farewell speech

ADVERTISEMENT

editorji-whatsApp

More videos

French President Emmanuel Macron arrives in Mumbai

French President Emmanuel Macron arrives in Mumbai

BNP claims victory in Bangladesh's election, set to return to power after 20 years

BNP claims victory in Bangladesh's election, set to return to power after 20 years

UNSC panel notes Pak-based terror group JeM's reported link to Red Fort attack

UNSC panel notes Pak-based terror group JeM's reported link to Red Fort attack

Trump ends immigration crackdown in Minnesota

Trump ends immigration crackdown in Minnesota

Voting underway in Bangladesh’s crucial general election amid tight security

Voting underway in Bangladesh’s crucial general election amid tight security

US House rejects Trump’s tariffs on Canadian goods in rare rebuke

US House rejects Trump’s tariffs on Canadian goods in rare rebuke

Trump tells Israel's Netanyahu Iran talks must continue

Trump tells Israel's Netanyahu Iran talks must continue

US President Trump hails trade deal with India as 'historic'

US President Trump hails trade deal with India as 'historic'

Instagram CEO denies addiction claims in landmark US trial

Instagram CEO denies addiction claims in landmark US trial

All key sensitive sectors protected under India-US Interim trade pact: Commerce Secretary

All key sensitive sectors protected under India-US Interim trade pact: Commerce Secretary

Editorji Technologies Pvt. Ltd. © 2022 All Rights Reserved.