Uttarakhand govt cancels this year's Kanwar Yatra due to Covid

Updated : Jul 13, 2021 21:00
|
Editorji News Desk

The Uttarakhand government has cancelled this year's Kanwar Yatra due to the Covid pandemic. Chief Minister Pushkar Singh Dhami on Tuesday said that though the Kanwar Yatra is culturally significant, his government's priority remains saving lives amid the coronavirus pandemic.

The Indian Medical Association's Uttarakhand chapter had earlier written to the Chief Minister requesting him to learn from the "previous failure" and not allow Kanwar Yatra in the interest of the state and the whole country.

People had to pay a heavy price for going off guard after the first wave which had led to a stronger and more fatal second wave, IMA Uttarakhand Secretary Amit Khanna said in a letter to Dhami.

The Haridwar Kumbh held in April had led to a surge in Covid-19 cases and the government was widely criticised for going ahead with the religious gathering amid the pandemic.

UttarakhandKanwar YatraCovid 19Uttarakhand Chief Minister

Recommended For You

editorji | India

Editorji Launches Hook Global, Its International Digital News Brand

editorji | India

'Operation Tiger is complete,' roars Shinde as 6 Uddhav MPs join his Sena; calls them Dhurandhar

editorji | India

Kashmiri Pandits should move on, stop being prisoners of past: Mehbooba

editorji | India

At least 15 dead as fire rips through Lucknow building, students among victims

editorji | India

SC seeks responses of Centre, States on plea for use of Aadhaar as identity proof only