Taking cognisance of the plight of migrant workers, the Supreme Court issued interim directions to centre, states, and UTs that need to be implemented immediately.
The Court said:
1. No fare either by train or bus will be charged from migrant workers. Railways to share fare but no fare from migrants
2. All migrants who are stranded shall be provided food by the concerned state at places publicized and notified to them so that they can meet both ends.
3. The originating state should provide food and water and thereafter food should be given by railways. Post reaching, the state shall give transport, food and meals from stations to their villages. This is applicable to both camps on the way or buses.
4. States shall speed up registration of migrant workers and build help desks near places where they are stranded, where they would be asked to board buses or trains at an early date. Complete information needs to be publicized so that migrants are aware of the arrangements made for them.
5. The Court added, that whenever a migrant is found walking on the road they will be taken to the camps at the earliest and help them with facilities.
The Apex Court will take up this matter next on June 5.