Pentagon: US strikes two facilities used by Iranian military in Syria

Updated : Oct 27, 2023 18:54
|
AP

The U.S. military launched airstrikes early Friday on two locations in eastern Syria linked to Iran's Revolutionary Guard Corps, the Pentagon said, in retaliation for a slew of drone and missile attacks against U.S. bases and personnel in the region that began early last week.

The U.S. strikes reflect the Biden administration's determination to maintain a delicate balance. The U.S. wants to hit Iranian-backed groups suspected of targeting the U.S. as strongly as possible to deter future aggression, possibly fueled by Israel's war against Hamas, while also working to avoid inflaming the region and provoking a wider conflict.

According to the Pentagon, there have been at least 12 attacks on U.S. bases and personnel in Iraq and four in Syria since Oct. 17. Air Force Brig. Gen. Pat Ryder said 21 U.S. personnel were injured in two of those assaults that used drones to target al-Asad Airbase in Iraq and al-Tanf Garrison in Syria. 

Also Watch: BSF trooper, 4 civilians injured as Pak troops open fire at 5 Indian posts

Pentagon

Recommended For You

editorji | World

YouTube restores services after global outage affects users

editorji | World

Mark Zuckerberg to testify in landmark social media addiction trial

editorji | World

Tarique Rahman sworn in as new Prime Minister of Bangladesh

editorji | World

BNP lawmakers sworn in after landslide victory in Bangladesh elections

editorji | World

Yunus says Bangladesh no longer ‘submissive’, mentions India’s northeast in farewell speech