'Nothing to be proud of': Ukraine reacts to G20 statement on Russia war

Updated : Sep 09, 2023 22:36
|
AFP

Kyiv on Saturday criticised the G20 leaders' statement on the Russian invasion, which denounced the use of force for territorial gain but refrained from direct criticism of Russia by name.

"Ukraine is grateful to the partners who tried to include strong wording in the text. At the same time, in terms of Russia's aggression against Ukraine, the Group of 20 has nothing to be proud of," said Oleg Nikolenko, a spokesman at the Ukrainian foreign affairs ministry.

Nikolenko posted a photo of a part of the statement edited in red, changing "the war in Ukraine" to "the war against Ukraine" and adding references to Russia.

The document had said that "all states" should "refrain from the threat or use of force to seek territorial acquisition against the territorial integrity and sovereignty or political independence of any state".

There was no explicit reference to Russia, unlike in a G20 statement in Bali last year that cited a UN resolution condemning "in the strongest terms the aggression by the Russian Federation against Ukraine".

"It's obvious that the Ukraine's participation (in the meeting) would allow the participants to better understand the situation," Nikolenko said.

Also Watch: 'I will not tolerate it in UK': Rishi Sunak on Khalistan extremism

Zelenskyy

Recommended For You

editorji | World

PM Modi calls for peaceful resolution of conflicts in West Asia and Ukraine

editorji | World

Trump arrives in China for superpower summit with Xi Jinping

editorji | World

Trump orders US military to 'shoot and kill' Iranian small boats choking Strait of Hormuz

editorji | World

India is a great country: Trump after controversial social media repost

editorji | World

Trump says Iran violated truce as doubt surrounds peace talks