Indian HC denies alleged attack on Sri Lankan fishermen by Indian Coast Guard

Updated : Feb 05, 2026 12:47
|
PTI

The Indian High Commission in Colombo on Thursday denied the alleged attack on a group of Sri Lankan fishermen by the Indian Coast Guard.

Issuing a statement, the Indian High Commission said it had noticed media reports pertaining to the alleged assault on Sri Lankan fishermen at sea on January 29, 2026.

"On our side, we have ascertained and can confirm that no such assault was inflicted by any Indian Navy or Indian Coast Guard personnel," a press release said.

"India has consistently maintained that a humanitarian approach should be adopted to fishermen’s livelihood concerns and that the use of force should not be resorted to under any circumstances," it said.

On February 2, the Sri Lankan fisheries minister Ramalingam Chandrasekeran said a protest was to be recorded with the Indian government on the incident. He said the Indian High Commission has been informed on the incident by them.

On January 29, three trawlers with 12 fishermen had ventured out for fishing from the Wellamankaraya fishing harbor at Wennappuva in the north western coast. They were allegedly attacked by the Indian Coast Guards.

The Navy deployed a vessel to bring ashore four fishermen who had been badly injured by the assault. Another naval craft was moved to bring back six more injured fishermen, the Naval spokesman Buddika Sampath said.

Tyronne Mendis the fishermen’s association official said, “three trawlers had come under attack, two of them were within Sri Lankan waters when they were attacked”.

He charged that Sri Lankan Navy was helpless to prevent the attack by Indian coast guards.

Sri Lanka

Recommended For You

editorji | World

PM Modi calls for peaceful resolution of conflicts in West Asia and Ukraine

editorji | World

Trump arrives in China for superpower summit with Xi Jinping

editorji | World

Trump orders US military to 'shoot and kill' Iranian small boats choking Strait of Hormuz

editorji | World

India is a great country: Trump after controversial social media repost

editorji | World

Trump says Iran violated truce as doubt surrounds peace talks