'Despicable': India on disruption of Rath Yatra in Toronto

Updated : Jul 14, 2025 22:28
|
PTI

India on Monday described as "despicable" the disruption of a Rath Yatra in the Canadian city of Toronto over the weekend and said the matter had been strongly taken up with Canadian authorities.

The procession in Toronto over the weekend was disrupted by some people who hurled eggs, according to media reports.

External affairs ministry spokesperson Randhir Jaiswal said the disruption was caused by "mischievous elements".

"Such despicable acts are regrettable and are against the spirit of the festival, which seeks to promote unity, inclusivity, and social harmony," he said.

"We have strongly taken up the matter with Canadian authorities to hold the perpetrators of the act accountable," he added.

The Indian side hopes the Canadian government will take "necessary action to protect the religious rights of people".

The annual procession in Toronto featured the grand chariot of Lord Jagannath.

"We hope the Canadian Government will take necessary action to protect the religious rights of people," Jaiswal said.

Earlier, former chief minister Naveen Patnaik said in a social media post that the Odisha government should urge the external affairs ministry to register a strong protest with the Canadian authorities over the issue. 

Canada

Recommended For You

editorji | India

CBI arrests key accused in murder of Suvendu Adhikari's aide from UP

editorji | India

CBI arrests Latur-based coaching centre founder in NEET-UG paper leak case

editorji | India

ED arrests AAP's Deepak Singla after raids in 'bank fraud' case; party calls it political vendetta

editorji | India

Suvendu govt ends religion-based aid, sets up panels to probe corruption, crimes against women during TMC

editorji | India

Friends, relatives protest at Jantar Mantra seeking CBI probe into Twisha Sharma’s death